Within Girvan Academy there are five Young Ambassadors:
Platinum Ambassador: Alisa Buchanan
Gold Ambassadors; Rachel McDowell and Jay Mooney
Silver Ambassadors; Rachael Roxburgh and John Kerr
The key role as a Young Ambassador is to motivate and inspire other young people to participate in sport, promote sport within the school and to continue the Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014 Legacy. This will be achieved by:
• Raising awareness of opportunities to furthermore participate in physical activity in schools, clubs and Community Sports Hub
• Promoting an active lifestyle in sport in schools, clubs and community sports hub
• Raising awareness and using the excitement of all major sporting events
Girvan Academy’s Sports Council is made of Young Ambassadors, event organisers, members of the Sports Leaders classes and Sport Academy.
The Sports Council are currently working on the School Sport Award development plan to try and get the school a Gold Award for this year.
The Sports Council will also be helping to support local cluster events and promote the extracurricular activites which happen within the school.
12 Girvan Academy pupils are working towards gaining a number of different sports coaching qualifications throughout this academic year.
These pupils will work with Active Schools to gain experience delivering a variety of sports to primary age pupils, and will also support the Competitive School Sport Officer at cluster competitions and festivals.
So far this year the pupils have gained a Netball and Badminton Leaders qualification. In October they will deliver a badminton festival to P7 pupils within the cluster.
School Sport Award
The School Sport Award is a National Award scheme for physical education and school sport that will:
• Recognise and celebrate successful PE & school sport models
• Encourage schools to self-reflect and continuously improve
• Put young people at the forefront of the decision making, planning and implementation processes
Girvan Academy has a School Sport Committee who works on the different areas of the award.
The school currently has a silver award!
Get involved in Active Schools
To discuss how to increase sport and physical activity opportunities within your school, or to volunteer with Active Schools please contact us on 01292 294191 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org